Mitchell's 5th Birthday

Mitchell's 5th Birthday

Mitchell's 4th Birthday

Mitchell's 4th Birthday
February 2011
Powered by Blogger.

Nov 2010

Mitchell's 3rd Birthday

Mitchell's 3rd Birthday
Feb 2010

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mitchell's Birthday

Happy 4th birthday to our sweet angel baby Mitchell. I'll be honest. Four months ago we didn't know if we would be granted this day. And of course now it's here and gone I want next year and the year after that and that and that... It was strange because on the one hand we wanted to make this birthday extra special, but in the end it all came down to creating memories per Mitchell's request. All of his birthday requests were activities, so that's what we did--a weekend of fun.

We started Friday night with dinner at Red Lobster (thank you Grandma Davenport). Mitchell has asked to go for several months and loves shrimp. That night we got out all the awesome costumes our friends, the Schickedanzes, gave us. Chad made a spaceship and we put up black lights to look like outerspace for the star wars costumes. He's a fun dad and the boys loved it.

Saturday we again took advantage of the costumes and dressed up the boys as knights to go see "Tangled" at the movie theatre (also one of Mitchell's request--to see a movie). Our cousins met us there and we got popcorn--Mitchell's favorite part. After we went to eat pizza at Grandma and Grandpa Hatfield's house and knocked around a pinata that Aunt April made in the form of a dragon in sticking with the theme. Fun!

Sunday, Mitchell's actual birthday, we played and relaxed. He requested chicken noodle soup for dinner, so I made a big pot and while eating he said, "I like it a tiny bit." His appetite is still a little inconsistent, but much better. Family came to open presents and eat his dragon cake. After we budged and watched "Shrek 2" since Jackson didn't have school today.

I was writing in my journal last night and tried to document some info about Mitchell right now. There's so much to say about this little guy it's hard. He is such a mature spirit, but also a normal very sweet little boy. He loves to obey and follow rules. He is very easy going and while opinionated will go along with what's happening without fuss. He loves to make everyone happy and will either forfeit his choice/desire to make others happy or if others are arguing, act as a peacemaker. He still loves "I Am a Child of God" and sings it any chance he gets. He is a very smart little boy and very perceptive. At the hospital when we talked with the doctor about chemo, he woke up the next morning and said, "Dad I didn't throw up!" meaning he obviously heard that could be a side effect. Mitchell is the perfect brother for Jackson and Eden. He loves unconditionally and thinks the world of those he loves. The list could go on forever. The quality Chad and I admire the most and try to emulate is Mitchell's ability to ALWAYS be happy. It is definitely a character flaw of mine to let events around me affect my level of happiness. Mitchell on the other hand is able to smile even when all around him is difficult and dark.

I am trying very hard to be a happy person. Our time in the hospital was a challenge, but in a way it has been harder at home. Everything is so much more real and I am altered. I just don't feel like myself anymore. Maybe because my idea of normal is so distorted now. We have several friends and aquaintances right now who suddenly have major medical issues and my heart hurts for them. We have a hefty list of those who need our prayers right now. Since I don't have their parents permission, I'll just list their first names if you don't mind praying for them: Ashley, Keith, Jonaven, Peyton, Luke, Sophia, Benton, Sadie, and the Wilson/Turner family.

Anyhow, I am following Mitchell's example and I am going to be happy no matter what.

Here are some pictures of my little Mitchell to melt your heart so you can see what an angel he is and always has been from the moment he entered this world. There are no words to describe how much I love this boy. Each second has been a joy with him. Even when he has been difficult it is in a way that makes me laugh. We are so proud of him. Happy 4th Birthday Mitchell!




Sweet new babe.


3 weeks old



Loves to eat


Happy 1st Birthday!

"Hello!"

Always willing to help mama.
Such a sweet and gentle spirit.
He's always smiling.

And also always up for a good laugh!

Happy 2nd birthday!
Just for laughs.

When he cut his finger off in a church door (Oct 2009).
On his 3rd birthday February 20, 2010

Friday night outerspace event.

The knights, dragon, and princess.


Dragon pinata.


Leftie was a great helper opening presents. Mitchell did a great job thanking all for his gifts all by himself.

His new golf club.
Fire breathing dragon!


We love you Mitchell!

5 comments:

Brandon and Lynsay said...

Amy, what an amazing post about your son. His birthday looked absolutely perfect and I can imagine wanting to have so many more and I believe you will. I think of you all often, and keep you all in our prayers. xoxo

Danielle and Derek said...

I'm glad he had an awesome birthday weekend. We sure love that little boy.

Jared and Melissa said...

Thanks for this post, he certainly is a little angel! We loved getting to talk to him on his birthday. He was so excited about his dragon cake that his mom made him. That was a GREAT cake by the way, good work!! We Love you all and keep praying for you to have the strength to endure!

Julie said...

What a fun birthday!!! Dragons, Princesses & Knights! Awesome :)
Nice outer space too!! Way to go Chad, looks fun!

Heather said...

Well, what can I say? I love Mitchell so much. I am so happy that he had a great weekend and a wonderful 4th birthday! I am glad to help celebrate!